Friday, November 2, 2012

Paint, paint and more paint

Please, no more paint.

I am pleased to announce that room 2 is 98% complete! I have decided that cornices and hung doors only account for 2% (cough), makes it sound just that much closer to the finish line!

I have pretty much spent the last few weeks of my life painting, usually late at night when I should have been tucked up in bed. After undercoating with the most awfully thick 3 in 1 paint, I was then able to apply my long awaited finishing colour. I originally chose Dulux Tranquil Retreat, first for its name, secondly because I am a bit in love with grey/white colour schemes at the moment. On testing, I decided that the full strength colour was way too dark for this particular space. I settled for Tranquil Retreat half strength which has given us a really soothing soft grey.

Couldn't wait until morning, so I apologise for these night pics! Will take more in the daylight.


Oh, did I mention that I made the window frames all by myself? So clever that mitre box and me!

Trims and doors have been painted in Dulux Aquanamel, untinted white. I have a love hate relationship with Aquanamel. This evening I discovered that it behaves much better when the temperature is under 20 C and humidity is moderate. On other days it has been akin to painting sticky white honey uphill. I bought a 10L tin of the stuff, so I have to make it work!


Doors are all painted and ready to hang tomorrow. Yes, more painting!


Then there's room 2. Well, still a work in progress! Once we get our cornices delivered (when I negotiate the ridiculous $100 minimum delivery charge) I think I'll really feel like it's almost all done. Shouldn't be too impatient - finished plaster means more painting for me! Bring on those Lotto numbers!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    Could you please tell me does Tranquil Retreat come in a half strength or do you do something to it to make it half strength? Can only see plain Tranquil Retreat on the Dulux site.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ND! Thanks for visiting my blog! Tranquil Retreat half strength can be achieved by asking the people at the paint counter to mix it to half strength (you can even get quarter strength in some colours). The mix strengths are all on the computer for them, ready to go!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Kathy, might see if I get buy a sample pot. This is for external weatherboards so definitely want to make the right choice! Nothing seems to look like it does in the swatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely! I have seen it on weatherboards on a few houses in Sydney and its just beautiful. Good luck!

      Delete