Saturday, April 13, 2013

It's all about the bamboo!

I've been quiet for some time now, for two reasons. Firstly, we've had a break in our renovations (mainly due to exhaustion of body and budget!) and secondly, I started a new position at a new school this year which has left spare time for . . . well, nothing!

School holidays have finally arrived and that means that we are embarking on the second stage of our renovations - flooring.

A few months back, we were fortunate enough to win a competition where we won $3000 worth of flooring from Choices! A most welcome boost to our renovation budget, this meant that we were able to go ahead with our flooring plans at least 6 months ahead of schedule. The $3000 took care of the deposit and that money was redirected to other projects!

We have decided on Embelton Natural Bamboo after considering a range of hardwood flooring. We really need light and bright in our house, so we finally settled on the natural colour. I chose Embelton Bamboo because it has a more consistent finish than other brands of bamboo flooring, which I dislike due to their streaky, watercolour type finish.

We also chose Embelton bamboo because it;
  • is a 100% Australian owned company who has provided us with outstanding customer service
  • is sustainable
  • has a Janka rating of 16 (highly attractive feature with 3 kids plus neighbours kids trampling through our house!!)

Today I started pulling up the carpet . . . and I have the blisters to prove it!

I started with the stairs and I was greeted by at least 300 staples stuck fast into the wood. Armed with a hammer, screwdriver and pliers, I got to work removing them. What a chore!

Before . . . . 

During . . . . (I think those marks are the builders boot scuffs from the original build!)
Then I pulled up the carpet in our entryway and HELOOOOOO 1989!! Noice, different, unuuuuusual!
This is what I am aiming for it to look like AFTER! I know, not bamboo, but you get the picture! Bullnose tread, white painted riser.
My next challenge is the rest of the rooms and removing all of the skirting boards. I've done a 50cm section and it nearly killed me. Off to trawl You Tube and Google to find an easier way!

Stay posted - plenty more to come! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment